April 4 - North Korea bars South Korean workers crossing the border to the Kaesong joint industrial zone for a second day. Rough Cut (no reporter narration).
ROUGH CUT - NO REPORTER NARRATION North Korea barred entry to South Korean workers trying to reach the Kaesong joint industrial complex for a second day on Thursday (April 4). More than 220 South Koreans already on the site would be allowed to leave through the day, the South's unification ministry said. South Korean workers who arrived early at the border crossing in the hope of getting back to their jobs were turned away although the vice president of the Kaesong Business Association said North Koreans had started work as normal at 8am. He said companies operating factories on the site had been told to pull out by April 10 and that a request to extend the deadline to April 13 had yet to receive a response. The North has threatened to shut the complex as part of the tense standoff with Seoul and Washington. The threat comes even though the industrial zone is one of the North's few sources of ready cash. South Korea is urging its citizens to leave the zone. The industrial park has not formally stopped operations since its inception in 2000 as part of efforts to improve ties between the two Koreas.