July 27 - The last passenger car of the high speed train that crashed in Spain killing 78 people was removed from the wreckage area on Saturday. Rough Cut (no reporter narration)
ROUGH CUT (NO REPORTER NARRATION) The last passenger carriage of the high speed train that crashed in Santiago de Compostela was removed from the wreckage area early Saturday (July 27) evening, leaving only the locomotive on the site. The eight-carriage train came off the tracks, hit a wall and caught fire just outside the pilgrimage destination Santiago de Compostela in northwestern Spain on Wednesday night July 24) killing 78 people in what has been considered one of Europe's worst rail disasters. On Saturday evening police said the three unidentified bodies had been identified and confirmed one of them was a French citizen. The driver of the train that derailed, Francisco Garzon, is in police custody at the Santiago de Compostela Police Station. He has been charged with alleged reckless homicide and will be question by a judge by 19:40 (17:40GMT) on Sunday which is when the 72 hour time period required by law expires. The train entered the bend at 190 km per hour (120 mph), according to local media reports. The speed limit on the curve was 80 km per hour (50 mph). The impact was so huge one carriage flew several metres into the air and landed on the other side of a concrete barrier. Bodies were strewn next to the tracks in the aftermath. Spain's rail safety record is better than the European average, ranking 18th out of 27 countries in terms of railway deaths per kilometre travelled, the European Railway Agency said. There were 218 train accidents in Spain between 2008 and 2011, well below the EU average of 426 for the same period. The disaster happened at 8:41 p.m. (1841 GMT) on the eve of a festival dedicated to St. James, one of Jesus's 12 disciples, whose remains are said to rest in Santiago's centuries-old cathedral.