Video captures the panicked moments after a residential tower block in Gaza City is destroyed and families bundle into ambulances for treatment. Rough Cut (no reporter narration).
ROUGH CUT (NO REPORTER NARRATION) STORY: An Israeli air strike destroyed a 13-storey residential tower block in the centre of Gaza City on Saturday (August 23) and initial reports said 17 people were wounded, the Israeli army and Gaza health officials said. An Israeli military spokeswoman said the building, which collapsed completely, had been used as a command centre by Hamas militants. Local residents said the building housed 44 families. Egypt called on Israel and the Palestinians on Saturday to halt fire and resume peace talks, but violence continued unabated with Israeli air strikes in the Gaza Strip and Hamas militants firing rockets at the Jewish state. A senior Egyptian diplomat said the Palestinian President, Mahmoud Abbas, had informed Egypt's president, Abdel Fattah al-Sisi, that Hamas was prepared to come to Cairo for further talks. Hamas did not immediately confirm the report. Israel also had no immediate comment. The Israeli military said it bombed about 20 targets across the Hamas-dominated strip, including rocket launchers and weapon caches. It said Gaza militants had fired more than 40 rockets at Israel and no Israeli casualties were reported. Palestinian health officials say 2,082 people, most of them civilians, have been killed in the small, densely populated coastal enclave since July 8, when Israel launched an offensive with the declared aim of ending rocket fire into its territory. Hamas leaders said on Saturday they have signed off on Abbas's bid to join the International Criminal Court (ICC), a move that could open up both Israel and the militant group to war crime investigations over the Gaza conflict.