The Italian Navy releases video of a wreath being laid on the wreck of a migrant boat which sank with the loss of 118 lives. Rough Cut (no reporter narration).
ROUGH CUT - SUBTITLED (NO REPORTER NARRATION) The Italian navy on Thursday (October 15) released video of a wreath being lowered onto the wreckage of a migrant vessel which sank off the coast of Libya in April. The navy said it placed the wreath following the completion of inspection and assessment work on the boat. It said 118 bodies had been removed from the sunken vessel, which lies at the bottom of the Mediterranean. The difficult task of pulling out the corpses began in June. Following the laying of the wreath with the help of a robotic arm, the wreckage was saluted with three flashes of light, the navy said in a statement. The fishing boat, carrying up to 800 migrants, sank in April, making it the deadliest shipwreck in the Mediterranean for decades and a symbol of Europe's long-running migrant crisis. The 20-metre (66-foot) vessel capsized as it approached a merchant ship that had come to its assistance. The Mediterranean Sea has become the world's most deadly border area for migrants. More than 430,000 refugees and migrants have crossed the Mediterranean to Europe in 2015, a record number that is more than double the total for the whole of last year, the International Three Organization for Migration (IOM) said in September. More than 3,000 people have died making the crossing this year, IOM said.