Suspects in the deadly attacks in Ankara that killed 99 people on October 10 have begun to appear in court, with prosecutors alleging that some of those in detention could be linked to Islamic State. Mana Rabiee reports.
Three of the suspects in last week's deadly Ankara bombings appear in court. They're among a dozen people detained by Turkey for their alleged connection to Saturday's bombing at a rally by pro-Kurdish and civic groups. There's still been no claim of responsibility for the twin blasts that killed 99 people … but Turkey says some of the 12 suspects spent time in Syria and could be linked to Islamic State. One of them is reportedly from the conservative southeastern Turkish town of Adiyaman, where he allegedly espoused a better life in Syria among the ranks of Islamic State. Most of the suspects are being detained in connection with Twitter messages they wrote about the attack but it's unclear on what legal grounds they're being held. Prime Minister Ahmet Davatoglu told Reuters the bombing was meant to undermine his ruling AK party... and to deny it the votes it needs during a November election to form a majority government. Whoever's to blame, President Tayyip Erdogan admits there was an intelligence failure that led to the attack ... and numerous police, intelligence and security officials have been removed from their posts as the government pushes ahead with its investigation.