Mars has recalled chocolate bars and other products in 55 countries, mainly in Europe, due to choking risk after a piece of plastic was found in a Snickers bar in Germany. As Grace Pascoe reports, there's no word yet on how much it will cost.
Mars boasts it uses purified water at its factory in the Netherlands. But sadly for the U.S. firm, that didn't prevent some red plastic getting into a Snickers bar made there. The problem snack was discovered by a consumer in Germany. It's led to a product recall in 55 countries, including France. (SOUNDBITE) (French) PARISIAN, SOLEDAD FRANCO, SAYING: "I have eaten a lot of these but now I am suspicious. I try to eat organic but it's hard to all the time." (SOUNDBITE) (French) PARISIAN, EMMANUELLA, SAYING: "I eat mainly organic products but I do trust brands like Mars, the same kind of thing can happen to an organic brand." The recall affects Mars, Snickers and Milky Way bars, and some boxes of Celebrations chocolates. The U.S. giant isn't saying how much it will cost. But there's no need to worry too much about the impact on the company, says World First's Chief Economist Jeremy Cook. (SOUNDBITE) (English) WORLD FIRST, CHIEF ECONOMIST, JEREMY COOK, SAYING: "We've seen previous product recalls with things like seatbelts and airbags in cars and we haven't seen a disastrous fall-off in demand for those brands. In the near term, as long as it hasn't made anyone ill, you'd have to say that maybe the damage is limited at the moment." But consumer product incidents like this can result in reputational damage as well as a financial hit. Nestle knows all about that - it had to recall its Maggi noodles in India after a health scare over lead levels. And in 2006 the then British chocolate maker Cadbury's had to find around 20 million pounds to fund a recall of 1 million chocolate bars following a salmonella outbreak.