Police arrest five people, including the alleged gunman who killed 39 people in Istanbul nightclub on New Year's Day, state-run Anadolu news agency says. Rough cut (no reporter narration)
ROUGH CUT (NO REPORTER NARRATION) The gunman suspected of killing 39 people in an Istanbul nightclub on New Year's Day has been caught by police in the city's Esenyurt district, the Hurriyet newspaper website and other media reports said on Tuesday (January 17). Turkish news agency DHA released footage showing a man detained in the same operation. State-run Anadolu news agency said the alleged attacker, whom it and other media named as Abdulgadir Masharipov, was detained along with a man and three woman in Istanbul's Esenyurt district. "I congratulate our police who caught the perpetrator of the Ortakoy massacre," Deputy Prime Minister Numan Kurtulmus, who is also the government spokesman, said on social network Twitter. "Our war with terror and the powers behind it will continue to the end," he added. Dozens of people have previously been detained in connection with the attack for which Islamic State has claimed responsibility, saying it was revenge for Turkish military involvement in Syria. On Jan. 1, the attacker shot his way into the Reina nightclub then opened fire with an automatic rifle, reloading his weapon half a dozen times and shooting the wounded as they lay on the ground. Turks as well as visitors from several Arab nations, India and Canada were among those killed in the attack. The suspected gunman of Uzbek origin was caught in an apartment at a housing complex on the European side of Istanbul with his four-year-old son at around 11 pm (2000 GMT) on Monday, the Hurriyet newspaper website said.