At least two people are killed in the Philippines days after Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte pulls the police off the war on drugs on worries over corruption. On Tuesday, Duterte said he may seek military help in their stead. Ryan Brooks reports.
At least two deaths in the Philippines Tuesday (January 31) night showing President Rodrigo Duterte's brutal drug war is still very much alive. Duterte has officially suspended all police operations in a crackdown that's seen at least 7,000 people killed. Local media reported one rare day without bloodshed on Monday (January 30), but on Tuesday night Reuters was at the scene of two new murders. One body left riddled with bullets after bikers opened fire, and a recovering addict chased down and shot. Both are classic examples of death in the war on drugs. Local residents know that, but in a climate of fear, no one claims to have seen the killers. Under new rules from Duterte, police can't enforce drug laws for at least a month while they focus on cleaning up corruption inside the force. But the president has told a group of soldiers he may turn to them for help. Last week Duterte said he won't declare martial law, but threatened it anyway. (SOUNDBITE) (English) PHILIPPINE PRESIDENT, RODRIGO DUTERTE, SAYING: "And they'll say why are you declaring Martial Law? Because I have to preserve the Filipino people and the youth of this land." For now, the drugs war has been handed to a much smaller anti-narcotics agency after news surfaced that officers kidnapped and killed a South Korean businessman last year. Rights groups tie the businessman's death to the drug war saying police felt protected by the president's promise to protect anyone involved in the crackdown.