Borussia Dortmund's coach criticises UEFA's decision to reschedule a Champions League match less than 24 hours after the team was targeted in a bomb attack. David Doyle reports.
Less than 24 hours after being targeted in a bomb attack, Borussia Dortmund's players arriving for their Champions League match with AS Monaco. That decision angering the team's coach, Thomas Tuchel. He says the club was given too little time to digest what had happened after three explosions went off near the club's bus on Tuesday (April 11) evening. The bus had been taking players to the quarter-final match - that game then postponed to Wednesday (April 12) evening. Tuchel says UEFA, the governing body of European soccer, treated the team as if a beer can had been thrown at the bus. (SOUNDBITE) (German) BORUSSIA DORTMUND COACH, THOMAS TUCHEL, SAYING: "You have to know this is also our dream, our dream to reach the semi-final, and the team didn't feel they were in the best condition to focus and concentrate for a game at this level in which details make the difference." Borussia Dortmund lost the first leg encounter three goals to two. UEFA says the decision to reschedule the match was made in consultation with both clubs. But Tuchel claims the club was informed of UEFA's decision by text message and says they were left feeling powerless. The explosions shattered windows on the bus and hospitalised a policeman and Spanish defender Marc Bartra, who suffered a broken bone in his wrist. German prosecutors say the incident could have been much worse. Police are holding a 26-year-old Iraqi, who prosecutors believe is a member of Islamic State. But, they said, there is currently no evidence that he took part in the attack.