Cuba's Foreign Minister Bruno Rodriguez denies accusations of a sonic attack on American staff at the US Embassy in Havana as ''completely false''. No reporter narration.
(ROUGH CUT - NO REPORTER NARRATION) Speaking at Howard University in Washington, DC on Saturday (October 28), Cuba's Foreign Minister Bruno Rodriguez denied accusations of a sonic attack on American staff at the US Embassy in Havana as "completely false", as tensions flare between the two countries. "The so-called attacks are unjust. Whatever the type of attack, whatever the incident it is completely false," he said. "The US government made a baseless, a shallow, a hasty and an unacceptable decision to expel 17 officials from our embassy in this city, including a significant part of our personnel. This measure, aside from having a political basis, has a negative impact on consular services and it also makes it difficult for our authorities and our efforts (to organise) trips for Cuban residents in the United States." Cuba's chief diplomat was at Howard University for a conference of Cuban residents living in the United States. Rodriguez said the decision to expel 17 Cuban diplomats in response as politicking. While the United States has not formally accused Cuba of carrying out what it says are attacks that have caused hearing loss and cognitive issues in its diplomats, U.S. President Donald Trump said last week Havana was responsible. The tensions over the attacks, some of which involved high-pitched sounds, came after Trump said in June he wanted to partially roll back the historic detente between the United States and Cuba, ordering tighter restrictions on travel and trade with the island. These have yet to be unveiled. Rodriguez addressed recent tensions with the Trump administration, saying Havana was opening up as the US government closes.